Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.
House members reintroduced The Preventing Future Pandemics Act of 2021 on the first day of the new Congress. The bill would end the import, sale, and export of certain wild animals for animal consumption and medicine in the United States.
The bill, supported by the Humane Society of the United States (HSUS) was introduced by Reps. Mike Quigley, D-Ill., and Fred Upton, R-Mich. The bill also focuses on wildlife in traditional medicine, wildlife trafficking, and alternative food consumption in communities that rely on wildlife for food security.
Most people know that Coronavirus is a zoonotic disease, meaning that it spreads between humans and animals. What people may not know is that more than half of all infectious diseases in people are zoonotic. As humans continue to encroach on animal habitats, consume animals, and keep the animals that they sell or raise for consumption in tiny, unsanitary cages, the risk of zoonotic disease spread increases.
Source: WWF UK/YouTube
“It is undeniable that cruel confinement and exploitation of wild animals contributed to launching this pandemic. Human and animal health are inextricably linked,” said Kitty Block, president and CEO of the Humane Society of the United States said in an emailed statement. “The United States is a major importer of wildlife parts and products. This bill would end all import, export and sales of certain wild animals for the primary purpose of human consumption and medicine in the United States. Thank you to Reps. Quigley and Upton who have championed this as a priority.
Sign this petition to encourage Congress and the Senate to pass the Preventing Future Pandemics Act!
To continue speaking up, sign these other petitions as well:
- Ban All Wildlife Markets in Light of Coronavirus
- Save the Highly Trafficked, Critically Endangered Pangolins
- Stop the Wildlife Trade
- Support the Wildlife Conservation and Anti-Trafficking Act
- Support California Bill that Would Protect Endangered Species and Humans from Zoonotic Diseases
- 10 Zoonotic Diseases that Emerged from Humans Consuming Animals
- PETA Warns Indian Government About Zoonotic Disease From Working Elephants
- The Humane Society Outlines 11-Point Plan to End Animal Suffering and Prevent More Zoonotic Diseases like COVID-19
- How Deforestation Leads to the Spread of Deadly Viruses from Animals to Humans
- How Rearing, Hunting, Trading, Killing, Dissecting and Eating Animals Leads to Zoonotic Diseases like COVID-19
For more Animal, Earth, Life, Vegan Food, Health, and Recipe content published daily, subscribe to the One Green Planet Newsletter! Also, don’t forget to download the Food Monster App on iTunes — with over 15,000 delicious recipes it is the largest meatless, vegan, and allergy-friendly recipe resource to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy! Lastly, being publicly-funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!