A donkey that recently lost his best friend is having happier days now, The Donkey Sanctuary reported. Topper, a fourteen-year-old Poitou donkey, lived with Amber at the Wilshire, England sanctuary. Topper was left alone when Amber lost her life to cancer.
Justine Thomas, Donkey Welfare Adviser at The Donkey Sanctuary, said, “Donkeys form strong and long-lasting friendships and much prefer the company of their own kind, so it was very important that we found Topper a new donkey companion. Dolly turned out to be the perfect partner.”
Poitou donkeys are known for their size. Dolly is particularly tall so she’s a great match for Topper.
Topper’s owner and Dolly’s new Guardian, Sarah-Jane Newton, said, “Topper was clearly in distress at being on his own and I was extremely concerned for his welfare, even to the extent that the whole family slept out in the garden summerhouse right next to his stable, just to keep him company at night. The Donkey Sanctuary was amazing. Justine and the team pulled out all the stops and Dolly soon arrived. Topper was beside himself with happiness when he saw her, and although Dolly needed some time to settle in and get used to her new environment, they both desperately needed a best friend and bonded almost immediately.”
You can support The Donkey Sanctuary here. Learn more about donkeys in One Green Planet. Check out these articles:
- Donkey Who Spent 12 Years Being Abused Thanks His Rescuer With Endless Kisses (VIDEO)
- Demand For Donkeys Used in Chinese Medicine Has Reached Epic Proportions
- Baby Donkeys Rescued From Meat Trade Are Now Ambassadors for Change
- Donkey Loves Cuddle Sessions With His Favorite Caregiver (VIDEO)
- Tommy Lee Speaks Out Against Donkeys Being Forced to Carry Tourists in Greece
- Incredible Rescue of Donkey Who Almost Lost His Feet to Plastic Ties Will Bring Tears to Your Eyes (VIDEO)
For more Animal, Earth, Life, Vegan Food, Health, and Recipe content published daily, subscribe to the One Green Planet Newsletter! Also, don’t forget to download the Food Monster App on iTunes — with over 15,000 delicious recipes it is the largest meatless, vegan and allergy-friendly recipe resource to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy! Lastly, being publicly-funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!