Factory farmed chickens in the UK are found to be bred to become full size in 35 days, according to animal charity RSPCA. Their investigation found that a billion birds are harmed with these growth techniques that cause internal organ damage, among other problems.
This breeding time is twice as fast as the 1950s. Genetics companies have made these changes possible. Chickens’ lungs and hearts cannot cope with speed of growth. These fast-growing birds are twice as likely to be culled or die due to poor health. They are 3.5 times more likely suffer from leg sores and lameness.
The RSCPA is calling on fast food restaurants to stop using birds that are bred in this way. RSPCA’s Kate Parkes said, “People are eating more chicken because they think it’s a healthy option but they would be horrified by the suffering these birds endure by being born into bodies which simply grow too fast. The scale of this problem is vast… and we need to tackle it quickly. This study is the first of its kind in the UK to compare these fast-growing birds with a slower-growing breed and the results are clear: the genetics of these breeds impacts their welfare to such an extent that many could be considered as having a life not worth living. They are far more likely to experience serious suffering from health issues like lameness, heart attack and hockburn to an inability to live the “normal” life of a chicken.”
Sign the RSCPA’s petition to stop this type of chicken breeding.
Read more about chickens and factory farms in One Green Planet:
- This New Documentary Will Change How the World Sees Factory Farming Forever (VIDEO)
- The Important Lesson About Factory Farming We Can Learn From 31 Rescued Ducklings
- 200 Health and Science Experts Have a Very Powerful Message About Factory Farming
- Why Factory Farming Is a Broken System Where Extreme Animal Cruelty and Abuse Is the Norm
- How Genetic Manipulation in Factory Farms Impacts Chickens: The Story of Louise the Rescued Hen
- Costco Sets Up Massive Chicken Slaughterhouse in the Midst of an Environmental Crisis
- Turkeys Found Living in Filthy, Dangerous Conditions at Major Factory Food Chain
- Battery Hen Reaching to See Light in Her Cramped Cage Shows the Realities of Factory Farming
For more Animal, Earth, Life, Vegan Food, Health, and Recipe content published daily, subscribe to the One Green Planet Newsletter! Also, don’t forget to download the Food Monster App on iTunes — with over 15,000 delicious recipes it is the largest meatless, vegan and allergy-friendly recipe resource to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy!
Lastly, being publicly-funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!