There are 32 chimpanzees stuck in limbo after a sanctuary in California closed unexpectedly in 2019. Wildlife Waystation was home to 32 chimpanzees. A new grassroots fundraising effort is underway for the chimps led by North American Primate Sanctuary Alliance (NAPSA) and endorsed by Dr. Jane Goodall, according to an email from NAPSA.
Source: CBS Los Angeles/Youtube
The animals need care and four organizations have stepped up to help them. The partnering sanctuaries include Chimp Haven in Louisiana, Chimpanzee Sanctuary Northwest in Washington, Center for Great Apes in Florida, and Primarily Primates in Texas. Any donation goes to supporting the Waystation chimpanzees and to support their ongoing care and living spaces.
“The chimpanzees who are left at the closed Wildlife Waystation are in desperate need of rehoming,” renowned primatologist Dr. Jane Goodall said in an emailed statement. “We have reputable sanctuaries that are able to care for them, but need funding to build new enclosures. On behalf of these chimpanzees who may live many more years, please help by supporting this emergency rescue effort.”
Source: Wildlife Waystation/Youtube
A $250,000 matching grant was awarded recently to Chimpanzees in Need to help these animals. If you’d like to help, visit www.primatesanctuaries.org/chimps-in-need. Sanctuaries are home to chimpanzees rescued from terrible situations.
These poor chimpanzees suffer so much physically and mentally and this illegal trade must be better regulated. The Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species (CITES) is supposed to be regulating global wildlife trading in order to protect animals that are part of endangered species. Sign this petition to ask CITES to do their job and protect chimpanzees!
To continue speaking up, sign these other petitions as well:
- Send Traumatized Lab Chimps to a Sanctuary
- Close Zoo that Forces Chimpanzee to Ride on Bike and Spray Disinfectant for Entertainment
- Tell Walmart to Stop Supporting Forced Monkey Labor
- Man Takes Care of Emaciated Chimps Abandoned After Being Animal-Tested on an Island in Liberia
- Heartwarming Video of Chimpanzees Enjoying their New Sanctuary Home After Decades of Being Used for Experimentation
- Victory! Former Laboratory Chimps Freed to Sanctuary After Years-Long Legal Battle
- Amazing Sanctuary Provides Hope for the Orphaned Chimpanzee Victims of the Exotic Pet Trade (VIDEO)
- These Chimps Spent Most of Their Lives in a Lab … Now They’re Getting Treated to Awesome Birthday Parties in Sanctuary Home! (VIDEO)
For more Animal, Earth, Life, Vegan Food, Health, and Recipe content published daily, subscribe to the One Green Planet Newsletter! Also, don’t forget to download the Food Monster App on iTunes — with over 15,000 delicious recipes it is the largest meatless, vegan, and allergy-friendly recipe resource to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy! Lastly, being publicly-funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!