Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.
Say hello to Duke Ellington Morris, the latest, and most charming member of San Francisco International Airport’s (SFO) Wag Brigade! This 14-year-old feline has been winning hearts and soothing souls, working as a therapy cat in California hospitals before now expanding his remit to travelers in need of some pre-flight relaxation.
This isn’t Duke’s first gig in the world of therapy work. Rescued as a kitten from the streets of San Francisco, his relaxed demeanor quickly caught the eye of his owner, Jen Morris. She facilitated his certification as a therapy cat, and Duke embarked on his journey of spreading joy at hospitals, including visits to the ICU at UCSF Medical Center.
Morris shares that he used to be wheeled in on a cart, and patients with doctor’s approval would give him a chin scratch, transforming their day. Named after the legendary jazz musician, Duke truly lives up to his namesake, spreading soothing vibes wherever he goes.
We encourage everyone thinking of getting a pet to only adopt instead of shopping. Read more resources about adopting animals on One Green Planet, including 7 Reasons to Adopt Your Next Furry Best Friend, 5 Reasons Why Everyone Should Adopt a Pet, and These Heartwarming Before and After Pictures of Adopted Rescue Animals Will Make Your Day! Read tips for pet adoptions and what to consider before adopting an animal. We recommend using these apps to find shelter dogs near you!
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based Recipe app on the App Store, to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take initiative by standing up against fast fashion Pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that raise awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade over and over again.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and important stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote smart, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, Donate if you can, grow your food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in common household and personal care products!