Elon Musk’s Neuralink is under federal investigation for potential animal welfare violations after internal staff complained that its animal testing is causing needless suffering and deaths. Reuters reported that, in total, the company has killed about 1,500 animals, including more than 280 sheep, pigs, and monkeys, following experiments since 2018.
Source: FRANCE 24 English/Youtube
The medical device company is being investigated according to documents that were reviewed by Reuters and other sources “familiar with the investigation and company operations.”
The federal probe was reportedly recently opened by the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Inspector General at the request of a federal prosecutor, according to two sources with knowledge of the investigation, Reuters reported. The probe reportedly focuses on violations of the Animal Welfare Act, which governs how researchers treat and test animals.
Complaints have been coming out in recent months that pressure from CEO Musk to accelerate development has resulted in botched experiments, Reuters reports. Failed tests have had to be repeated, which is increasing the number of animals being tested and killed, according to company employees.
This is not the only heat that the company has gotten recently over animal welfare concerns. An animal rights group is suing the University of California, Davis, over experiments conducted for Neuralink, Elon Musk’s biotech company. The group says that the university has 371 photos related to experiments on monkeys that were performed for Neuralink. The group seeks the release of 185 pictures related to the autopsies of animals that died during the experiments.
Similarly, this February, The Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine filed a complaint with the USDA regarding Animal Welfare Act violations against monkeys who are being experimented on in a lab at the University of California, Davis which is conducting the experiments on behalf of Neuralink, Elon Musk’s neurotechnology company.
The New York Post reported that a monkey was allegedly found missing some of its fingers and toes, possibly from self-mutilation or some other unspecified trauma. These poor monkeys experienced extreme suffering as a result of these highly invasive experimental head implants during the experiments. Sign this petition to demand that the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) investigate this incident of animal abuse!
- Group Seeks Release of 185 Autopsy Photos of Animals that Died During Experiments for Elon Musk’s Neuralink
- Australia Could Lead the World in Animal Testing Alternatives
- Dr. Oz Role in Animal Experiments That Killed Over 300 Dogs and Tortured Hundreds of Other Animals
- Petition: Demand Elon Musk’s Company Stop Torturing Monkeys
- Complaint Filed With USDA Regarding Monkey Experiments For Elon Musk’s Company
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based recipe app on the App Store, to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take initiative by standing up against fast fashion pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that raise awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade over and over again.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and important stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote smart, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, donate if you can, grow your food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in common household and personal care products!