The Brazilian Government of President Luiz Inácio Lula Da Silva has announced the ban on the use of animals in cosmetics and perfume research. The new measure applies to products with proven safety and efficacy, according to Agencia Brasil.
Source: Lush Cosmetics North America/Youtube
Under the new rules, vertebrate animals, like dogs, cats, and rats, can no longer be used in research for the development and quality control of personal care products, cosmetics, and perfumes. The new ban applies to the tests of products that contain ingredients with proven safety and efficacy. However, for new products with formulas or ingredients that have not been deemed safe, the standard requires the use of alternative research methods, of which there are 40 methods recognized by the council, according to the Concea Coordinator Katia de Angelis.
“We have recognized methods that involve dermal toxicity with artificial skin, eye irritation with [an] artificial cornea. This means that by using these alternative methods we can maintain our autonomy to study new ingredients, [on] products from our Amazonian biodiversity, for example, with the possibility of not using animals or eventually using a very small number of animals,” de Angelis explains.
The ban will finally put Brazil in line with international legislation like the EU, which already forbids animal testing. Brazilian Confederation of Animal Protection President Carolina Mourão believes the ban will have a positive impact on animal protection.
“This measure, although not the end of the use of animals for all types of tests that Brazil embraces, saves an enormous number of lives of all types of animals we know, from dogs, horses, oxen, and birds.”
Not Your Tee By Tiny Rescue: Animal Collection
- Petition: Urge Congress to Ban Cosmetic Testing on Animals
- Canada Set to Ban Cosmetic Testing on Animals
- Hawaii Set to Ban Animal Cosmetic Testing
- Beauty is Pain for Animals. Urge the U.S. to Drop Cruel Cosmetic Testing!
- Can This Cute Video From Ricky Gervais End Cosmetic Testing on Animals?
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based Recipe app on the App Store, to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take initiative by standing up against fast Fashion Pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that raise awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade over and over again.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and important stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote smart, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, Donate if you can, grow your food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in common household and personal care products!