Spicy vegan sausage, onion, garlic, thick cashew cream, potatoes, greens, and red pepper flakes make this soup's flavor unbeatable. This savory soup is best served as a meal rather than an appetizer, with a side of Italian bread. You won't want to miss a single drop.
Zuppa Toscana: Tuscan Sausage Soup [Vegan]
For the Soup:
- 2 homemade vegan sausages
- 1/2-1 tablespoon olive oil or vegetable broth, for an oil-free version
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 white onion, diced
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 2 medium white or Russet potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 cups spinach or kale
- 3/4 cups heavy cashew cream (see below)
- Salt, black pepper, red pepper flakes, to taste
For the Heavy Cashew Cream:
- 1/4 cup cashews, soaked until soft
- 3/4 cup water
- Sauté the vegan sausages in a hot and greased cast-iron skillet and allow them to crumble as they cooks. Cook for 15-20 minutes, until it resembles ground sausage.
- Sauté the garlic and onion in a pot or deep skillet for 2-3 minutes, until fragrant and soft. Add the vegetable broth and bring to a boil. Add the sliced potatoes and cook for 15 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender.
- While cooking blend the cashew cream ingredients together, strain and set aside.
- Stir in the crumbled sausage and spinach or kale and cook for 1-2 minutes, until it wilts. Add the heavy cashew cream and heat for about 1 minute.
- Season to taste with red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper. Serve hot.