This makes a great protein-filled snack and allows you to use up that half-block of tofu lying in your fridge. Use gluten-free bread to make this gluten-free. (From The Lusty Vegan © 2014 by Ayinde Howell and Zoe Eisenberg. Used by permission, Vegan Heritage Press.)
Tofu Ricotta Crostini [Vegan]
- 8 ounces firm tofu, drained well and patted with paper towels
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon capers
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon nutritional yeast
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon grapeseed or safflower oil
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 slices bread, any kind
- In a medium bowl, break up the tofu with a fork until it is the consistency of ricotta cheese. Add the basil, capers, oregano, nutritional yeast, and salt. Mix well.
- In a medium skillet over medium-high heat, heat the oil until hot. Add the garlic and sauté until golden, about 30 seconds. Add the tofu mixture and sauté for 3 to 5 minutes, or until hot. Stir in the lemon juice.
- Toast 2 slices of bread and cut each one into 4 triangles. Slather on the ricotta and serve.