The idea to use sweet potato noodles was that of the lady helping me at the kitchen store (thanks!) and let me tell you, it was a darn good idea! It was a quick job- the spiralizing of one sweet potato only took about 5 minutes, and I then steamed it for another five. Easy-peasy! The noodles had a nice texture, but be careful not to steam them for too long as they will fall apart.
Sweet Potato Noodles and Coconut Curried Veggies [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1 large sweet potato
- 2 carrots
- handful of shiitake mushrooms
- 1 half of a small cauliflower, broken into florets (approximately 1½ cups of florets)
- 1 onion
- 1 Tablespoon virgin unrefined coconut oil
- handful of cilantro
- 6 oz of organic tomato paste
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 can of organic coconut milk
- salt and pepper
- juice of half a lime
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric (optional)
- ½ cup frozen organic peas
- Using a spiralizer, make the noodles out of the sweet potato according to instructions.
- Using a steamer basket, steam noodles for approx 3-5 min or until desired tenderness is achieved.
- Heat the coconut oil in a large pan on medium heat. Chop the onion and mince the garlic and add to the pan. Cook until onion becomes translucent, approx 5 min.
- Chop the carrots finely into coins, chop the mushrooms into desired sized pieces (I like mine quite small).
- Add the mushrooms to the pan with onions and garlic and cook until some of the water is lost. Add salt and pepper.
- Add cauliflower, carrots, curry powder and turmeric. Cover and cook for approximately 10 min or until cauliflower and carrots are beginning to get soft. Add coconut milk, tomato paste, lime juice and peas and cook for another 5-7 min.
- Serve noodles with curried veggies and garnish with chopped cilantro!