You don't need cream to make a rich and creamy bisque — in fact, this dairy-free version doesn't even include coconut cream. Sweet potatoes are cooked until tender and then blended with sautéed onions, non-dairy milk, and plenty of spices that'll bring the heat and keep you warm. Serve with a dollop of cool coconut sour cream and crackers for dipping.
Smoky Sweet Potato Bisque [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 4 regular-sized sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1/4 onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 cup soy milk (or other plant-based milk), more for a thinner soup texture
- 1/2 cup vegan sour cream (optional)
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce of choice
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Red pepper flakes, for garnish (optional)
- Boil the sweet potatoes until tender, about 20 minutes. Strain them and place in a food processor or high-speed blender.
- While the sweet potatoes are cooking, place the onion in a small frying pan with the water and cook them on medium to medium-high heat until they are translucent and tender, about 5 minutes.
- Place the cooked onion in the food processor or blender with the cooked sweet potatoes. Blend these until smooth. Return mixture to a large cook pot. Add the remaining ingredients and heat through, stirring constantly.
- Serve immediately with red pepper flakes as garnish if you like.
- Sweet Potato