If you’re vegan and you’re craving cheese, you gotta try this. Super simple, can be whisked under an hour. Set to perfection, you can slice this, grate it, melt this, there is no oil in this and made from all natural ingredients. 7 ingredients (without counting water in) Best part of all, completely soy-free.
Sliceable Cashew Cheese [Vegan]
- 1/3 cup raw cashews [Soaked overnight in a cup of water]
- 1 heaped Tbsp + 1.5 tsp nutritional yeast
- 1 clove garlic (you don’t want this to be a garlic cheese)
- 1.5 tsp starch of your choice (Tapioca/Arrowroot/Corn)
- 1.5 tsp agar agar powder
- 1 Tbsp + 2 tsp juice from lemon
- 1/2 cup +1/2 cup water
- Salt - to taste
- In a saucepan, mix agar agar in 1/2 cup water. Keep aside
- Discard the water from cashews. Rinse them really well. Add cashews to a food processor with nutritional yeast, garlic, starch, salt, lemon juice & 1/2 cup of water. Make a very very smooth paste.
- Add the cashew paste to agar agar mixture.
- Bring this to boil on a low-medium heat until it forms a thick pancake-batter consistency.
- Quickly transfer to ramekins. This quantity makes one full ramekin and another 1/2 ramekin sized cheeses.
- Refrigerate for an hour. Carefully remove from the ramekin and enjoy
You could add a pinch of turmeric for a deep yellow color. Taste check the cashew paste. If you like it to be more tangy, feel free to increase the quantity of lemon juice. It will be a think ‘jelly’ consistency. Not as firm as normal cheese. However, you could hold and grate through a grater. Mine became a bit mushy. However, managed to pass through the sieve though. Tastes excellent with crackers