In spite of the name, Swiss rolls are actually thought to have originated in Austria. Regardless of where they come from, they're a delicious treat worthy of any occasion. This raw version can be enjoyed by many because it's gluten-free and grain-free; the chocolatey outer roll is made from dates and almonds and it's stuffed with a cashew cream filling that can also be made with macadamia.
Raw Cocoa Vanilla Swiss Roll [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Cocoa Dough:
- 1 1/2 cups ground almonds
- 1/4 cup raw cacao powder
- 1/4 maple syrup or dates
- 2 pinches of salt or Himalayan sea
- A pinch of cinnamon
- 1/4 cup, plus 2 tablespoons virgin coconut oil extra, melted
- 2 tablespoons water, as needed
For the Vanilla Dough:
- 1 cup cashews or macadamia nuts, soaked overnight
- 1/4 cup, plus 1 tablespoon maple syrup or dates, to taste
- 1 stick of vanilla seeds or 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup coconut milk or almond
- Juice of 1 lime
- In a food processor, add all the ingredients for the cocoa dough and blend until smooth.
- Place a sheet of kitchen paper down on a flat surface. Using your hands, shape the dough into a ball, then flatten it as much as you can. Place another piece of parchment paper on top and then roll it out into a flat shape using a rolling pin. Remove the paper and cut the edges with a knife. You should have a large rectangle.
- Blend the soaked nuts for the vanilla dough in a food processor. Then, add remaining ingredients and blend until a smooth texture forms. Place the dough in the refrigerator for 20 munites to firm up, then spread it over the cocoa layer using a spatula and clean up any edges.
- Carefully roll the dough up and place in the freezer for about 20 minutes. After that, let stand for 10 minutes before slicing and serving.