Succulent oven-roasted mushrooms, packed with nutrients and an enormous amount of vegetable magic squeezed into each cap. Rich in iron, zinc, and protein, the pumpkin seeds lend their unique power-packed profile to this dish. Its prep time (5-10 min) to "wow your friends" ratio is superb, and you will be the star of any potluck or holiday dinner you bring these to. They also make a wonderful mid-week meal, as you can play with the herbs you use, and dress them up or down as desired. Give 'em a shot!
Pumpkin Seed Pesto Stuffed Mushrooms [Vegan]
- 12 crimini mushrooms
- 1/4 cup yellow onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 cup cauliflower
- 1/4 cup raw hulled pumpkin seeds
- 1 cup fresh basil
- 1 Tbsp flax meal
- 1/4 cup fresh oregano (or 2 Tbsp dried)
- 2 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- black pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees and lightly oil baking sheet with high heat oil (avocado, grape seed, organic canola).
- Separate mushroom stems from caps, and place caps on baking sheet.
- Place mushroom stems and all other ingredients in bowl of food processor. Run until all pieces are small and uniform and mixture binds together. You may have to scrape down sides of bowl a few times.
- Fill each mushroom cap with a generous spoonful of the filling. Sprinkle with salt and nutritional yeast.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until mushrooms have released their liquid and tops have become crispy.
- If desired, serve with a side of tomato salad (tomatoes, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper). Enjoy!