It doesn’t get much better than this tomato sauce. It’s amazing with pasta, sure, but also with this raw zucchini spaghetti I find myself eating so often these days. A really delicious and very healthy meal. And it gets particularly great if you also take the time to prepare these vegan pumpkin seed cannelloni bean meatballs to serve with it.
Pumpkin Seed Cannellini Meatballs With Zucchini Spaghetti [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- ¾ cup pumpkins seeds, soaked in hot water for at least ten minutes
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 2 large cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp thyme
- 1 tbsp oregano
- 2 cans Cannellini beans, well rinsed
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 – 3 tbsp. olive oil
- 4 large garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1.5 tbsp. thyme
- 1.5 tbsp. oregano
- Approx. 10 leaves fresh basilica
- 8 large tomatos (ideally the dark red, juicy kind), chopped into large chunks
- 7 ounces tomato paste
- 1 cup red wine (a good full-bodied one ideally!), more to taste
- 1.5 cup water, more if needed
- 2 tbsp agave or other sweetener
- 1 tsp salt
The Zucchini Spaghetti:
- 3 medium sized zucchinis (more if your guests are hungry)
- Place the pumpkin seeds in hot water and turn the oven to 200 degrees.
- In a frying pan, add the olive oil, the red onion, the garlic, the thyme and the oregano. Leave on low heat while occasionally stirring until the onions start to soften. Then remove the water from the pumpkin seeds, and add those and the well-rinsed Cannellini beans. Increase the heat and fry for a minute or two while stirring.
- Remove the pan from the stove and blend it all together thoroughly using a hand mixer. It will be very sticky, perfect to immediately form small meatballs. Add a baking paper to a baking tray on which you place the meatballs. Bake in the oven for approximately 40 minutes (depends on oven and size of meatballs so keep a close eye, and roll them around a few times to get them a little crunchy on all sides). You can make these the day or two before and keep in the fridge.
- Add the olive oil to a pan and bring to medium heat. Add the garlic and the herbs and fry while stirring for a minute or two before adding the rest of the ingredients. Let it boil for at least 40 minutes, until the tomatos have become soft enough to blend in with the rest of the sauce. Ten minutes before serving, taste, and adjust the flavour with more salt, thyme, oregano, red wine, agave etc. Add more water (and red wine) throughout cooking if needed to get to the right consistency.
The Zucchini Spaghetti:
- Make spaghetti out of well washed zucchinis using a mandolin, spiralizer or even a potato peeler.
EXPLORE MORE VEGAN RECIPES WITH THESE INGREDIENTS
Beans - AllBeans - WhitePastaPumpkin SeedTomatoesVeggie MeatballsZucchini