Warm, satisfying, and nourishing, this penne dish with broccoli, chili, capers, and tomatoes is the ideal pasta dinner. It's simple, requires no fancy ingredients, and is super flavorful. Take 15 minutes out of your day and whip this recipe up, you won't regret it.
Penne with Broccoli, Chili, and Capers [Vegan]
- 5.6-6.3 ounces gluten-free penne, or pasta of your choice
- 1 broccoli head, cut into florets
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon capers
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, lightly crushed
- 4 cherry tomatoes, sliced
- Salt, black pepper, and chili flakes, to taste
- Bring a large pot of water to boil. Add salt and baking soda (this will keep the broccoli vibrantly green), and then the broccoli florets. Let boil until tender, but not mashed.
- Heat olive oil in a pan and add garlic, capers, and chili flakes. When the garlic gets golden brown, add the tender broccoli florets along with some of the broccoli cooking water. Crush the broccoli a little to form a coarse texture and let simmer for few minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and discard the garlic. Taste for salt.
- In a bowl, toss the sliced tomatoes with a little olive oil, salt, and black pepper.
- Cook the penne in salted water, according to the packet instructions, until al dente. Drain and add to the pan with broccoli. Toss well to coat over heat for about 2 minutes. Serve in pasta plates and garnish with sliced tomatoes.