This mushroom and walnut pâté is rich, creamy, earthy, and surprisingly easy to make! Enjoy it on sandwiches, toast, or as a dip for vegetable crudités – but however you choose to spread it around, this pâté will instantly make your meal more memorable.
Mushroom Walnut Pâté [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 4 cups chopped brown crimini mushrooms
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 3/4 cup walnuts
- 1 small yellow onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon oil or vegan butter
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spread walnuts out on a baking sheet and toast in the preheated oven for 8-10 minutes, watching closely to ensure they don't burn. Once toasted, set aside.
- Clean the mushrooms, slice the bottoms off the stems, then roughly chop. Peel and dice the carrots, then set aside. Chop the onion and mince the garlic.
- Heat oil or butter in a large frying pan or pot over medium heat. Add the mushrooms, carrots, onion, and garlic. Sprinkle in the thyme and saute until the mushrooms turn dark and begin to release their liquid, about 10 minutes.
- Transfer cooked vegetables to a food processor along with the toasted walnuts and process on high until smooth and creamy. Stir in salt and pepper to taste. Feel free to add more thyme as well, if you so desire. Transfer to an airtight, resealable container and store in the fridge for up to two weeks. Enjoy on toast, flatbread, sandwiches, or as a vegetable dip.