These lemons squares are little bites of sunshine. The crust is simple but delicious and it's topped with a smooth lemon curd that has a perfect blend of sweet, salty, and sour. You'll be hard pressed to stop eating these sweet treats once you start.
Lemon Squares [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Crust:
- 1 cup gluten-free flour
- 1/2 cup confectioner's sugar
- 1/2 cup melted coconut oil
For the Lemon Curd:
- 2/3 cup non-dairy milk
- 2/3 cup water
- 3 tablespoons corn starch
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup lemon juice (about 2-3 lemons)
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- A pinch of salt
To Make the Crust:
- Place the flour and icing sugar together in a bowl, and stir. Make a little well in the center of the bowl, and pour the coconut oil or melted vegan butter into it. Mix well until the wet is incorporated into the dry.
- Press this mixture into the bottom of a greased 8x8-inch pan, and bake in a preheated 350°F oven for about 10 minutes.
- Remove it from the oven and allow it to cool slightly while you prepare the filling.
To Make the Filling:
- In a mason jar, combine water, non-dairy milk and cornstarch.
- Screw on the lid and shake well to mix.
- Pour this mixture into a small, heavy-bottomed saucepan, and then cook it over medium heat, stirring continuously with a whisk until it starts to bubble.
- Add the rest of the ingredients, and continue to stir until it thickens and bubbles.You’ll know it’s done when it coats the back of a spoon, and you can run your finger through it without it running back together.
- Pour the filling onto your prepared crust.
- Place in the refrigerator overnight to set. The next morning, remove from the pan, and cut it into bars or triangles.