Avocado Jalapeño Poppers [Vegan]
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 16 won ton wrappers
- 1 avocado
- 2 Jalapeño peppers
- Sea salt
- Cut an avocado in half and remove the pit.
- Slice each half of the avocado into 8 chunks by cutting once across the middle and making 4 slices lengthwise, repeat for the other half, yielding 16 avocado pieces altogether.
- Remove the seeds and membrane from the inside of the jalapenos. Slice each jalapeno into 8 thin strips, yielding a total of 16 strips.
- Make an assembly line of won ton wrappers for faster working.
- Heat extra virgin olive oil in a pan with deep sides over medium-high heat. When you insert the back of a wooden spoon into the oil and bubbles appear you will know the oil is hot enough. At this point turn the heat back down to medium.
- Place a slice of avocado on the bottom corner of each won ton wrapper. Sprinkle with a small pinch of sea salt, and place a strip of jalapeno on top of the avocado chunk.
- Fold the bottom corner of the won ton wrapper over the avocado. Roll halfway, and then fold the sides of the won ton wrapper towards the center.
- Using a pastry brush or your finger, moisten the remaining corner of the won ton wrapper with water. Roll up tightly.
- Repeat the process for all 16 avocado jalapeno poppers.
- Cook the avocado jalapeno poppers in oil, 4 or 5 at time being careful not to overcrowd the pot. Cook 30 ~ 60 seconds per side to achieve a nice golden brown color.
- Drain poppers on a paper towel.
While many won ton wrappers available in chain grocery stores contain non-vegan ingredients, there are several brands you can buy at Asian grocery stores that do not.