This Asian cauliflower sandwich is battered, baked, crispy, and meaty. The sauce is sweet and savory with a hint of spicy. The pickled cucumber slaw is light, tart, colorful, crunchy, as is the perfect topping for this sandwich! In addition to all of the above, it packs a variety of colors, tons of veggies, is affordable, and is hands down a crowd pleaser! If you want to take your affinity for cauliflower next level, make this sandwich.
Asian Cauliflower Sandwiches With Pickled Slaw [Vegan]
For the Sauce:
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar or brown sugar
- 1/2 cup tamari
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- Juice of 1/2 an orange
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 2 teaspoons fresh grated ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, grated
- 1/2 tablespoon red pepper flakes
- 1 1/2 tablespoons arrowroot
- 1 tablespoon water
- 3 tablespoons scallions
For the Cauliflower:
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 head of cauliflower
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 1 scallion sliced
- 2 buns
For the Slaw:
- 1/2 cup rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons tamari
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar
- 1 tablespoon minced peeled fresh ginger
- 1 medium cucumber, peeled, seeded, cut into matchstick-size strips
- 1 large carrot, peeled, cut into matchstick-size strips
- 1 cup thinly sliced Napa cabbage
- 1 cup purple cabbage
For the Sauce:
- In a small saucepan over medium-high heat, add all the ingredients except for the arrowroot and water. Whisk everything together and bring to a boil. In a small bowl, stir together the arrowroot and water until it dissolves. Gradually pour the mixture into the boiling sauce, while continuously whisking for 1 minute.
- In a small bowl, stir together the arrowroot and water until it dissolves. Gradually pour the mixture into the boiling sauce, while continuously whisking for 1 minute.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and allow to simmer for 3-5 minutes, until the sauce has become thickened. Remove from heat and cool before pouring into a jar. It should make roughly 1 1/2 cups.
To Make the Cauliflower:
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Cut cauliflower into bite-sized pieces, discarding the core.
- Combine almond milk, flour, garlic powder, pepper, and olive oil in a large bowl. Set up a station where you dip the cauliflower bites in the batter and let excess batter drip off. Sprinkle with panko and place on a foil-lined pan and bake 15 minutes.
- Sprinkle with panko and place on a foil-lined pan and bake 15 minutes.Remove from the oven and gently toss in the sauce. Cauliflower should be coated, but not soaked. Top with sesame seeds while wet.
- Place back on the pan and bake an additional 5-10 minutes or until cauliflower is tender-crisp. Place on the buns and top with pickled Asian slaw, scallions, and sesame.
To Make the Slaw:
- While the cauliflower is baking whisk first 6 ingredients in medium saucepan.
- Bring to boil; pour into large bowl. Add cucumber and carrot, and cool. Add cabbage to vegetable mixture; toss to blend. Season to taste with salt.