I wasn’t a big Cheese eater but since going vegan -I crave for it immensely. I miss spinach feta pizza. Feta was my favourite cheese. Salads with Feta, Chive cream cheese, etc. Yum. I had such a bad craving the other day - I managed to make Almond Feta from scratch and it tasted so much like the real thing!
5 Ingredient Almond Feta Cheese [Vegan]
- 1.5 cups raw almonds
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 2 cloves garlic
- Lemon juice-this is what gives you the kick-be generous. [I used 2 Tbsp + 1 tsp]
- Salt-to taste
- 1.5 cups water
- Soak Almonds in 2 cups very hot water for 2 hours.
- Skin almonds.
- Add the almond kernels & water into a food processor. Make a smooth paste.
- Add the other ingredients to the food processor and process until smooth(if you need extra water-add 1 Tbsp at a time)
- Transfer to a colander lined with a cheesecloth and squeeze down starting from the open end.
- Now, wrap an elastic band on the open end (tight) and keep a container underneath to collect juices [The creamy cheese milk can be added to salads or to my cheesy hummus. I love it]
- Leave it overnight refrigerated.
- Next day you will find a big mass of almond cheese inside the cheese cloth.
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
- To shape them, you could transfer to a cling-wrapped bowl.
- Line a tray with baking paper and flip the bowl onto the tray. Carefully, remove bowl & cling wrap and you will see the cheese sit there on the tray
- Bake for 20 minutes. Remove, Make some deep pits using toothpicks to ease cooking.
- Back into the oven, Bake the cheese until the cracks start to appear on the top of the cheese. (It took 30 minutes on a middle-tier oven rack)
- Remove from oven and there you are-with an awesome almond feta.
- Cut into cubes and use it as you do with Feta.
- Store in an airtight container (in a refrigerator). Tastes amazing even after a week