I have finally perfected my protein bar/ball recipe.
These balls are great for substituting a meal. They can also be used as a pre- and a post-workout snack to provide that extra kick of energy. They are super convenient to pack in a baggie on a trip, to take to work, and to eat when you feel hungry. Remember, grazing is important if you want to maintain a healthy body. Grazing keeps your blood sugar at a constant level, therefore, never leaving you feeling starved. This, of course, means that you will never get the urge to go to that evil vending machine for a candy bar or a bag of chips.
Protein Amaranth Balls
- ¾ cup oatmeal
- 4 scoops raw protein powder
- 2 tbsp raw cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp maca powder (optional)
- 1 banana
- 2 tbsp raw smooth peanut butter
- ½ cup of raw almond milk
- ¼ cup agave nectar
- ½ cup of raw cacao nibs
- ½ cup of dried cranberries
- 2 tbsp flax seeds
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 cup popped amaranth (avoid to make raw balls)
Line a cutting board with parchment paper.
- Pop the amaranth. Heat a high-wall pot on the stove. Pour 2 tbsp of dry amaranth into the hot pot. It will start to pop like popcorn. Lift and shake the pot periodically so the amaranth doesn’t burn. Pour popped amaranth into a bowl. Repeat until you have 1 cup of popped grain.
- In a food processor combine oatmeal, protein powder, chocolate powder, maca powder, salt, and cinnamon. Pulse until a uniform mixture is achieved.
- Add the banana, peanut butter, almond milk, and agave nectar. Pulse until combined.
- Transfer the mixture to a bowl.
- Add cacao nibs, flax seeds, and cranberries. Mix.
- Shape the mixture into golf-size balls and roll them in the popped amaranth.
- Place on the cutting board.
- When all of the mixture is shaped into balls, place them into the freezer for about an hour.
These balls will keep in the fridge for about a week. I prefer to store them in an air-tight container in the freezer and take out as many as I need 15 minutes before eating them. Virtually all the ingredients in these balls are protein sources. Amaranth is an ancient grain that has really high protein content. Popping amaranth is also endless entertainment. Protein powder, peanut butter, and almond milk provide additional sources of protein. Maca power and cacao nibs provide the necessary energy boost, be it before a workout or at 3 pm. The rest of the ingredients act as flavorings. You can add different seeds or dried berries to this mixture depending on what you like; these balls are very versatile.
Enjoy these delicious RAW chocolaty protein balls and keep revolutionizing your healthy self.