This isn’t the first time we’ve talked about vegan cookies, and it won’t be the last! Simply put, vegan cookies rock. And what better way to get in the holiday spirit than baking some delicious cookies?
While they will never be a health food, vegan cookies are often a more wholesome option than their traditional counterparts. Free of animal ingredients like eggs and dairy, vegan cookies are also cholesterol-free, lower in (or free of) saturated fat, and more likely to be made with natural sweeteners and other natural ingredients.
Now that we’re all in agreement about how amazing vegan cookies are – especially during the holiday season – let’s get baking! Check out one of our favorite vegan cookie recipes, below, followed by a roundup of 9 more delicious options.
Vegan Cookie Recipes:
It’s hard to beat the combination of chocolate and cherries, and the cookie recipe below is no exception. These holiday treats combine soft, chewy chocolate cookies with sweet morello cherries.
Chocolate-Covered Cherry Cookies
Recipe by Nikki Haney: Blogger, The Tolerant Vegan
(makes about 24 cookies)
- 1/2 cup Earth Balance Natural Buttery Spread
- 1 cup refined sugar
- 1/2 ripe banana, mashed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 24 dark morello cherries in syrup
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup non-dairy vanilla milk
- 3 teaspoons morello cherry juice, from jar
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit
- Place the Earth Balance Natural Buttery Spread and refined sugar in a large bowl.
- Mix on low-medium speed until fluffy.
- Add in the mashed banana and vanilla
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the all-purpose flour, cocoa, salt, baking powder and baking soda.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, mixing on medium speed until fully combined. The cookie batter will be pretty thick.
- Scoop the batter onto a baking pan and make a thumbprint in the center of each cookie
- Scoop the cherries out of their jar and place one cherry in each thumbprint
- In a small pot over low heat, melt the chocolate chips and non-dairy milk, stirring constantly.
- Once melted, remove from heat and stir in the cherry juice.
- Spoon 1 teaspoon of the melted chocolate over top of each cookie
- Bake the cookies for 10-12 minutes
- Remove the cookies from the oven, spoon another teaspoon of chocolate over each cookie and allow them to cool to room temperature.
- Molasses Ginger Cookies
- Chewy Sugar Cookies
- Chocolate HEALTH Cookies
- Whole Wheat Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Chocolate Sandwich Cookies
- Sweet Star Cookies
- Gluten-Free Peanut Butter Cookies with Dark Chocolate Drizzle
- Raw Pecan Spice Delight Cookies
- Coconut Oatmeal Cookies with Coconut Glaze
Still searching for that perfect holiday recipe? We’ve got even more delicious vegan cookie recipes right here!