I definitely have a chocolate addiction and I enjoy indulging it in healthy ways. You know I have a thing for using unexpected ingredients (See my chocolate pudding recipe) and this recipe is no different. I based this recipe on my popular dessert hummus recipe from my blog and was very pleased with the results. I can't wait to make another batch...I think next time I will add in some fresh mint to the food processor.
Chocolate Cookies [Vegan]
- 10 Medjool Dates, soaked
- Soaking water
- 15 oz. can chickpeas
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- 1/3 cup organic peanut butter
- 1 1/2 tsp. alcohol-free vanilla
- 4 packets Stevia
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
- Pit the dates and put them into a bowl. Press the dates down into the bowl and cover them with filtered water until they are JUST covered (it is ok if a tiny bit of the dates peak out through the water). Soak the dates in the water for at least 30 minutes.
- Once the dates have soaked, place all of the ingredients in a food processor and pulse 10-15 times. Scrape down the sides and process the mixture until there aren’t too many chunks. Stop and scrape down the sides with a rubber spatula. Repeat this process until the batter is the consistency you like (I prefer a few small chunks).
- Use you medium scooper (mine is 2 Tbs) and scoop the batter onto a parchment lined baking sheet. Bake for 15 minutes, turning the cookie sheet half way through.
- Take the cookie sheet out of the oven and smoosh down the cookies with a fork to flatten them.
- Return the cookie sheet to the oven and bake for 10 more minutes.
- Cool (If you have the patience) and enjoy!
You can try substituting with another nut or seed butter, though I haven’t tried to, but my guess would be that sunflower seed butter would make the best sub.