As the weather outside here in New York City turns crisp and blustery, I can’t help but feel drawn to traditional comfort foods. Unfortunately, traditional recipes are oftentimes inclusive of meat, eggs and dairy products. So what’s a hungry vegan to do? I say we transform all of our comfort cravings into vegan-friendly meals, and we can start with chicken pot pie. This chicken-less version is packed with protein and nutrients, and because this is a soup and not a full pie, the amount of crust that you dish out with each serving is completely up to you. This meal is incredibly filling and it makes for great leftovers.
Chicken-less Pot Pie Soup
Recipe adapted from The Food Pusher
- 4 tablespoons Earth Balance Natural Buttery Spread
- 3/4 cup yellow onion, finely chopped
- 3/4 cup celery, chopped
- 3/4 cup carrots, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/8 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- pinch of garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups plain soy milk
- 2 cups soy creamer
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups meat-free chicken, chopped (I used Trader Joe’s Chicken-less Strips)
- 2 cups diced potatoes, cooked
- 1/2 cup corn
- 1/2 cup peas
- 1 pie crust
Note: if you’re using frozen pie crust, be sure to thaw it out first
- Saute the Earth Balance, onions, celery and carrots in a large pot for 5-7 minutes, until the veggies are soft.
- Stir in the basil, thyme, sea salt, garlic powder and black pepper.
- Stir in the all-purpose flour and let the mixture cook for one minute.
- Add in the soy milk, soy creamer and vegetable broth.
- Stir continuously until the soup reaches a simmer
- Stir in the chicken, potatoes, corn and peas.
- Allow the soup to simmer, stirring occasionally for 35 minutes. The soup will thicken as it cooks.
- Remove the soup from the heat and let it sit for another 10 minutes.
- To make the crust, preheat your oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit and break your crust into pieces.
- Bake the pieces for approximately 10 minutes, or until the edges brown.
- Serve some crust in each bowl of soup.