The most pronounced flavor here is the fennel. This recipe is pretty much a typical rendition of any kind of a Bengali stir fry, with the exception of the tomatoes which add a new dimension of flavor to this dish.
Sautéed Spinach in Fennel Tomato Sauce
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 small red onion, cut into a coarse dice
- 2 dried red chilies
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
- 2 cloves of garlic, grated
- 1 large tomato cut into a dice
- 2 green chilies, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups of washed fresh spinach leaves
- Heat the oil and add in the fennel and cumin seeds and wait for them to sizzle.
- Into this mixture add in the red onion, ginger, garlic and mix well. Cook on low heat for about 5 minutes until the onions are soft and just beginning to turn golden.
- Add in the tomato, cinnamon and the chilies and salt and cook this mixture for 15 minutes, stirring frequently. At this point, you should have a fairly smooth and dry gravy, with the onions soft and melted into thick sauce
- Fold in the spinach leaves and cook for another 3-4 minutes, until the spinach is just cooked through. The spinach should absorb the sauce into a thick soft mixture.
EXPLORE MORE VEGAN RECIPES WITH THESE INGREDIENTS
AUTHOR & RECIPE DETAILS