In India, char roasted eggplant are more of a winter specialty, but you can enjoy it any time of the year!
Baigan Bharta: Indian Char-Roasted Eggplant Dip [Vegan]
- 2 medium sized eggplants
- 3 tablespoons oil
- ¾ teaspoon whole cumin seeds
- 1 small red onion, finely diced
- 1 tablespoon ginger-garlic paste
- 2 tomatoes, blended into a puree
- 2 green chilies, minced
- 2 to 3 tablespoons minced cilantro
- Place the eggplant on an open gas flame on a corner of the grill if you are grilling. If neither of these are options, then place the eggplant in a 350 degree oven and bake until soft and then broil until the outer skin is charred. Back to the open flame eggplant, cook until it is soft and the outer skin is completely charred. Set aside to cool.
- Heat the oil on medium heat for about 1 minute, and add in the cumin seeds and when they begin to sizzle, add in the red onion and sauté lightly until the onion softens and wilts and finally gently turns pale golden in corners.
- Add in the ginger-garlic paste and sauté lightly until the paste is somewhat dry and begins to turn fragrant.
- Add in the tomatoes and the chilies and begin to cook this mixture to allow the tomatoes to turn into a thick fairly dry sauce, you should begin to see the oil leaching again from the edges.
- While the tomatoes are cooking, peel and discard the charred skin from the eggplant and mash lightly.
- Add into the tomato spice mixture and mix well.
- Stir in the cilantro and mix well.
- Enjoy with your choice of bread or rice.
EXPLORE MORE VEGAN RECIPES WITH THESE INGREDIENTS