Pigs who are born into the world of animal agriculture, know nothing but pain from the moment they are born. Pulled off their mother’s teat mere days after being born, pigs on factory farms are stuffed into cramped sheds with thousands of other unlucky piglets, many times before they have even had a chance to step outside. From here, they will spend the majority of their days in a crate that does not permit them to even turn around. They are forced to stand in puddles of their own urine and feces, are spray painted with a number, and are fed food that has been laden with antibiotics to protect them from the sickness the that would normally result from being kept in such filthy living conditions. Many times, the only time these pigs will get to see sunlight is in the transport truck to the slaughterhouse, a journey that ends with their death, sometimes before they even get to the destination.

Just recently, a transport truck in Toronto, Canada, crashed and many of the pigs inside of the vehicle were injured or died on impact. The pigs that spilled out of the trucks roamed nearby the incident as police officers tried to round them up and keep the activists that crowded the scene at bay. It is estimated that about 40 pigs died from the crash. Others were injured and resting on the nearby grass. The police officers began to get the pigs together to march them to the slaughterhouse by foot.

Frightened, weak, and injured, two of the pigs were seen comforting one another near the accident. Amidst the chaos, all these pigs wanted was a brief moment of solace. A second to let each other know that they were in this together.

Pigs

The Happily Ever Esther farm animal sanctuary offered to give the affectionate pigs a home, but officials declined. Instead, they decided that since the pigs couldn’t march themselves over to the slaughterhouse, the better course of action was simply executing the pigs then and there. While this isolated incident seems unbelievably cruel and spiteful, it is merely a glimpse into the horrible cruelty present in the animal agriculture industry. To the officials, these pigs were not two beings that were injured and in need of a moment to breathe, they were simply pieces of cargo that had gotten misplaced and needed to be transported in the easiest way possible. But these pigs are not somethings they are someones.

Pigs often get a bad reputation as being dirty, stupid animals but in reality, they are incredibly intelligent and emotional beings. Studies have shown that pigs possess the ability to empathize with one another, they can perform tricks just like a dog can, and they even come running when they hear their name. Knowing this, the above photo carries an even more profound message, these are living, feeling beings.

As horrible as this situation is, it at least brings the cruelty of factory farms out into broad daylight, where it can be seen by all. As Paul McCartney once said, ” if slaughterhouses had glass walls, everyone would be vegetarian.” This poignant quote reminds us that ignorance may be bliss, but it can also be incredibly harmful. If you are disturbed by this story and think that pigs deserve better treatment, ask yourself if the meat industry is really the kind of business you want to be supporting.

Image source: Andrea White

What Is Wrong With the World? Annual Festival Where Turkeys Are Dropped From Airplanes Begins Again…

Danone’s Profits Spiked by $760 Million Thanks to Their New Dairy-Free Brands!

We Did It! Hank the Pit Bull Is Free Thanks to Community Outpouring

New Grubhub Data Shows Vegan Orders Have Increased by 20% in Just 1 Year!

12 comments on “Pigs Comforting Each Other After Slaughterhouse Truck Crash Will Change How You See These Animals”

john pasqua

THESE GREAT PIGS DESERVE TO BE TREATED WITH RESPECT NOW.

Ruth Ludgater

What a tragic outcome as there was a humane option offered and available.

ann

@Jewel Carol, Go peddle your tripe somewhere else!
Your tripe has nothing to do with mistreated, slaughtered animals!!

Ann

Sad, just sad because pigs are smart creatures and do not need to be treated this way. I have read some horror stories and seen some films that made me sick to my stomach. I made the choice not to eat meat. Everyone has the choice and if people really knew what went on and how these animals are treated, they wouldn\'t eat meat as well. Open your eyes people, look at what you are eating, you are eating the pain of these mistreated poor creatures. Sad and pathetic...ughhh!

Jewel Carol

Hey! my life is devastated! I’m going through hell right now from the past one month,i broke up with my bf.We both were completely in love.But i started having some issues with myself.My mood swings were a lot to handle for him an that point i just felt the need to break up and so i did.And i hurt him to the core which i never wanted to.He kept on begging me but i didn’t hear.Later on he started avoiding me and kind of did everything as you said in your video.it felt bad.I always loved him but i had to break up.I regret breaking up so much.But after that he said no to me.He said he’ll never come back as he cannot put faith in me.I have tried my level best but he is adamant that he cannot trust me.Even though after i realised what i did.I changed myself completely.I dealt with my mood swings and now i don’t get any.He cannot trust me.what should i do?I love himand he does too but he says he don’t have that much courage to come back. one day in my office going through the internet i saw a post of a lady giving testimony on how she got her husband back,i also come across a blog site on how to reunite and get your ex back with a love spell it was really amazing to see this so i copy his email id on http://happyspelltemple.webs.com/ i explain my situation to him and gave him all the details he requested from me, he give me few days assurance that my boyfriend will come back after the spell i was so overwal to hear that so i just keep calm and follow up his order coz i really love my boyfriend and want him back. on the second day after the spell as he promise me, my ex call me also show up in my office begging me to forgive him and accept him back with out no delay, i lift him up with a kiss and was so very happy to have him back all my happiness was from Dr happy he is indeed a true man a father and a god sent. plz contact Dr happy on his email id direct at [email protected] or call his mobile number on +2348133873774

Jenny Rose

No heart.

Charu Bhatnagar

Why do carnivores eat meat? Because this is their only option. Why do humans eat meat? Because they enjoy being insensitive, barbarians. Not thinking its a dead body on their plates and mouth, cooked or not. Giving designer looks to a dead body won't change the fact that its a dead body. Just like say, if a monster eats human meat; cuts it and makes a beautiful looking dish. It ll still remain a human meat. They don't understand what their greed does to poor animals. They are doomed to a life worse than death and even their death is painful. Not that if u research, become more accepting of more tastes; plenty of vegetarian dishes are available

Let Julian

Nevermind!

Edward P. Becker

I dont eat pork in any form EVER, and I stopped eating red meat months ago. I am about 90-95% vegan. Getting there. My two considerations are what meat does to your innards and cruelty to animals. I wouldn't eat any of our pet cats so why should I eat a pig? My health has improved drastically since getting off almost all meat and animal products. No more gut issues and I sleep more deeply than ever.

Daniela Fitz
26 Oct 2016

I know what you mean. Go on! Have fun with vegan lifestyle!

Christopher Lin

At least one day a week be vegetarian