"Do Pyaaza" literally means double onion. This Indian curry is a popular curry used in meat preparations. The earthy spices and the onions will remind most Indians of the roadside small shops serving greasy chicken or lamb curries. My Indian friends, like everyone else, feel that they will have to miss out on a lot of good food by choosing vegan. And that is one reason I want to recreate and adjust some of the rich curries. To replace that meaty memory with a vegan version, that is even more yummy and heavenly! Each bite tingles the tongue with a different spice. The tempeh can be replaced with seitan, tofu, mushrooms or vegetables like potato, cauliflower. Serve hot with any Indian Flat Bread (Roti, Chapati, Naan) or Basmati Rice!
Tempeh Do Pyaaza (Tempeh in Spicy Onion Curry)
This Recipe is :
- 1 Tablespoon Organic Canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vegan butter
- 2 Green chilies (Serrano, less or more by taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon Fenugreek seeds (methi)
- 1 teaspoon Coriander seeds
- 1 teaspoon Pomegranate seeds (anardana, can be substituted with half teaspoon dry mango powder)
- 1 teaspoon Cumin seeds
- 2 medium onions
- 1 inch Ginger piece chopped
- 1 Tablespoon fresh Mint leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon Turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Salt to taste (2/3 teaspoon)
- 1/2 teaspoon raw sugar or agave syrup
- 1 Tablespoon Fresh coriander leaves, chopped
- 1 cup cubed Tempeh (Learn how to make tempeh at home by reading following this recipe)
- 1 teaspoon vegan butter (or oil)
- Chop 1 green chili and make thin slices of the other one. Chop the onions into rings. In a Pan, add 2 teaspoons oil and shallow fry/cook a third of the onion rings, 1 sliced green chili and a tablespoon of cilantro leaves and a few thin slices of red bell pepper(optional) on medium heat, for 3-4 minutes and then keep aside.
- In the same pan, add the remaining oil, remaining onions, chopped green chili and the spices(coriander, cumin, fenugreek seeds and turmeric powder). Cook on medium heat with occasional stirring till the onions are golden.
- Add in the ginger and mint leaves and cook for a minute.
- Take off heat and Blend the onion mixture with a little lemon juice or water into a thick puree.
- In the pan, add the butter, onion puree, salt and sugar to taste.
- Add in the chopped tempeh and mix well to coat. Cook covered for 20-25 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the puree thickens and browns a bit.
- Add in a cup of water and mix. Adjust for salt and spice and cook for another 5-10 minutes to get the desired consistency of the curry.
- Serve hot topped with the fried onion rings, cilantro, green chili! Serve with any Indian Flat bread or basmati rice!
EXPLORE MORE VEGAN RECIPES WITH THESE INGREDIENTS
AUTHOR & RECIPE DETAILS