This super simple but delicious risotto recipe is a great quick and easy plant-based meal packed full of vegetables and flavor! You could use other veggies like mushrooms, leeks or kale and even add some lemon zest; that’s the beauty of a risotto, just throw in whatever you have in!
Zucchini, Pea, and Spinach Pesto Risotto [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 large zucchini, cut into large chunks
- 3 1/2-ounces frozen peas
- 7-ounces risotto rice
- 2 1/2 cups vegetable stock
- 4 teaspoons vegan basil pesto
- 2 large handfuls of fresh spinach
- Black pepper
- Extra basil leaves, extra olive oil, and extra pesto to garnish (optional)
- Heat the oil in a large pan and cook the onion and garlic on medium-high heat for 5 minutes until starting to soften.
- Throw in the courgette chunks and cook for a few minutes, then add the peas, risotto rice, pesto, and about 1 cup of the stock. Bring to the boil then simmer, stirring regularly.
- After about 10 minutes add another cup of the stock, then the rest of it until the liquid has been absorbed and the rice is tender.
- Stir in the spinach to wilt and sprinkle some black pepper. Serve onto bowls of plates and garnish with extra pesto mixed with a little olive oil and a few basil leaves (optional).