You won’t believe that this is not made with garbanzo beans, which are hard to digest raw unless they are carefully sprouted. In fact this raw vegan hummus recipe is very thrifty, being made entirely of zucchini and sunflower, with just a touch of tahini and very little olive oil. It really looks and tastes like hummus, especially when garnished with spices, herbs and a drizzle of olive oil.
Zucchini Hummus [Vegan]
- 3 zucchinis, peeled and chopped (makes about 4 cups)
- Juice and zest of 1 lemon
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 cup sunflower seeds, soaked 1 hour and rinsed
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 teaspoon za’atar (optional)
- Black pepper to taste
- Place all of the ingredients in a food processor and puree until smooth, for about 5 minutes. Adjust seasoning with more salt, pepper and cayenne as desired.
- To serve, place in a bowl and garnish the top with more za’atar, paprika, and parsley. Serve with sliced cucumber, carrots or wrapped in a leaf.