Make these zucchini cakes for a party appetizer, lunch snack or even side dish for dinner. It's unique to serve at gatherings because we’ve all seen those spinach balls at parties. Well, these zucchini cakes are healthier and tastier and your guests would really appreciate something different to snack on.
Zucchini Cakes [Vegan]
- 1 tablespoon ground flaxseeds plus 3 tablespoons water
- 2 medium zucchini grated
- 1/3 15 oz can chickpeas mashed (or use a food processor, but keep some larger bits)
- 2 tablespoons red onion grated
- 1/4 cup cornmeal
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- mango salsa, homemade or store-bought
- Combine the flax meal and 3 tablespoons water in a small bowl and let rest for about 10 minutes.
- Add zucchini, chickpeas and red onion to a bowl.
- Add the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, flax mixture, and salt. Mix until well blended.
- Spray pan with cooking spray and add about 2-3 tablespoons of the mixture, flattening to make level.
- Cook each side for about 2 minutes.
- Serve with chutney or mango salsa and add a squeeze of lemon if you like.