Yakisoba is a delicious Japanese stir-fried noodle dish usually served on a plate as a main or side dish. This Vegan version of Yakisoba is made with bouncy noodles, colorful vegetables, and protein. For this recipe, I use seitan( wheat gluten ) as my protein choice, paired with green & red bell pepper, cabbage, carrot, and wheat noodles, then finish off with an amazingly sweet, tangy, and savory yakisoba stir-fry sauce.
Yakisoba (Japanese Stir-fried Noodles) [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Yakisoba (Japanese Stir-fried Noodles) [Vegan]
For the Dish:
- 2.5 cups (600g) Pre-cooked Wheat Noodles (Note 1)
- 1/2 cup (100g) Brown Onion Thinly Sliced
- 2/3 cup (70g) Carrot Cut into matchsticks
- 2/3 cup (75g) Green Bell Pepper Cut into thin strips
- 2/3 cup (75g) Red Bell Peppe Cut into thin strips
- ~ 3/4 cups (200g) Seitan( Wheat Gluten) (Note 2)
- 1 cup (260g) Cabbage Slice into thin strips
- 3 tablespoons Cooking Oil (Note 3)
Yakisoba Stir-fry Sauce:
- 2 tablespoons Vegan Oyster Sauce
- 2 tablespoons Light Soy Sauce
- 2 tablespoon Ketchup
- 2 tablespoons Vegan Worcestershire Sauce
- 2 teaspoons Maple Syrup ( Note 4)
- 1/2 teaspoon Toasted Sesame Oil
- 1/4 teaspoon Ground White Pepper
- 2 tablespoons Water
How to Prepare Yakisoba (Japanese Stir-fried Noodles) [Vegan]
- Slice seitan, brown onion, carrot, green&red bell peppers, and cabbage into thin strips. Meanwhile, place all the ingredients for the yakisoba stir-fry sauce in a bowl, combine all them together then set aside.
- Stir fry seitan and veggies separately: In a large wok or skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the seitan and cook until slightly golden color then take out. Do the same to sliced onion, carrots, green&red bell pepper, and cabbage, cook until they are softened, take out, and set aside.
Prep the Noodles:
- Remove the pre-cooked noodles from their package, and place them in a colander. Quickly boil the noodles in hot boiling water for a minute until the noodles are separated. (if you use dried ramen noodles, please cook them according to the instruction on the package)
- Heat up the skillet over medium-high heat. Add the noodles into the skillet then pour the yakisoba stir-fry sauce mixture onto the noodles, stir and mix well.
Finish the Dish:
- Add the Yakisoba noodles to the skillet then add cooked seitan and vegetables back to the skillet. Toss everything together using tongs. Cook for another 2 minutes until everything heats through.
- Serve: Serve immediately with garnish, if preferred.
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.