This is a simple winter salad topped with a bright, citrusy dressing that will keep you feeling refreshed and satisfied! Flowering kale makes this salad extra beautiful.
Winter Flowering Kale Salad With a Citrus-Dijon Vinaigrette [Vegan]
For the Salad:
- Head of flowering kale or bunch of regular kale, washed, de-stemmed and dried
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher sea salt
- 1/2 small onion, finely sliced
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
For the Vinaigrette:
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 sun-dried tomato halves, optional
- Pinch of salt to taste
- Chop kale roughly and place in a large bowl, and sprinkle olive oil and salt over it
- Using clean hands, firmly massage kale, working in salt and olive oil until it becomes tender and shiny, the color will deepen and the volume decrease
- Add onion and raisins, toss to combine and sprinkle with freshly ground black pepper
- To make vinaigrette, combine orange juice, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, mustard, garlic and sun-dried tomato in a blender or food processor and blend until smooth, then season with salt to taste OR combine finely chopped sun-dried tomato with the rest of ingredients in a small bowl or jar with tight-fitting lid and whisk or shake until well combined.
- Drizzle a generous amount of vinaigrette over salad, toss and serve immediately.