This tonic is warming, healing, and perfect if you need a little boost when you're coming down with a cold! Drink this in the morning for a little extra pep in your step.
Warming Winter Tonic [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1 inch piece turmeric root
- 2 inch piece ginger root
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1/2 teaspoon peppercorns
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 3 cardamom pods, lightly crushed
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 star anise
- 1-2 teaspoons raw apple cider vinegar (per cup)
- 1-2 teaspoons maple syrup (per cup)
- Sliced lemon
- Bring 5 cups water to a boil in a medium pot.
- Add turmeric through star anise then reduce to a simmer for 20 minutes over medium-low heat.
- Remove from heat and let sit for 5 minutes, then strain and divide between two large mugs with apple cider vinegar, maple syrup, and a slice of lemon.