Warm Butternut, Cabbage, Quinoa, and Almond Salad – This warm winter salad combines filling and colorful vegetables to create a meal that will satisfy and restore your natural glow!
Warm Butternut, Red Cabbage, Quinoa and Almond Salad [Vegan]
- 3 cups small cubed butternut squash
- 2 cups small chopped red onion
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup bi-color quinoa
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups red cabbage cut into thin strips
- 2/3 cup coarsely chopped parsley
- 1/4 cup toasted slivered almonds
Maple Almond Dressing:
- 4 tablespoons almond butter
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 1/2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/8 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat your oven to 425ºF.
- Peel and seed your butternut squash and then cut it into small cubes. Cut the red onion to a small chop. Place both vegetables into a cast iron pan or on a cookie sheet with 1 tablespoon of olive oil and bake for 30-35 minutes, or until the butternut squash is tender. While the vegetables are roasting cook your quinoa, make your dressing, and prep the rest of your ingredients.
- Before cooking your quinoa, be sure to rinse it well first. This removes the bitter flavor quinoa sometimes has and makes it easier to digest. To cook, place the quinoa and vegetable broth in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat and then reduce to a simmer and cover. Cook covered for about 20 minutes, or until all of the vegetable broth is absorbed.
- Cut your cabbage into thin slices and coarsely chop the parsley. If your almonds aren't pre-toasted, you can do so in in a skillet over medium heat.
- To make the dressing, combine all the ingredients and purée together using a hand mixer or a food processor. Set aside.
- Once the butternut and onions and the quinoa are done cooking, mix them with the red cabbage, parsley and almond. Serve warm with maple almond dressing drizzled on top.
- Butternut Squash
Discover more recipes with these ingredients
Per Serving: Calories: 426 | Carbs: 66 g | Fat: 15 g | Protein: 12 g | Sodium: 49 mg | Sugar: 18 g Note: The information shown is based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Hidden for desktop / visible for mobile