Walnuts, Baby Bella mushrooms, savory spices, and fresh parsley are mixed with fresh bread crumbs to create these amazing meatballs. If that wasn't good enough, they're stuffed into a toasted roll with balsamic-glazed vegetables. The subs come together in about 30 minutes, so they're perfect for a weeknight, weekend, or whenever dinner. You could easily bake up a batch over the weekend and reheat throughout the week. They would be perfect with pasta or on a pizza.
Walnut Portobello Meatball Subs [Vegan]
For the Meatballs:
- 1 cup walnuts or raw hulled pumpkin seeds, to make it nut-free
- 4 ounces Baby Bella mushrooms , cut in half
- 1 teaspoon all-purpose savory seasoning
- 4 sprigs fresh parsley
- 4 Medjool dates, pitted
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 cup fresh breadcrumbs (about 1 slice of bread)
- 1 flax egg (1 tablespoon flax meal plus 3 tablespoons warm water)
For the Vegetable Filling:
- 1/2 orange bell pepper, sliced into strips
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, cut in half
- 1/2 large shallot, sliced
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- A pinch of salt
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 sub rolls, toasted
- Parsley, for garnish
To Make the Meatballs:
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Finely grind the slice of bread into crumbs in a food processor — transfer crumbs to a small bowl and set aside.
- In the food processor, finely grind 1 cup walnuts, half of the mushrooms, seasoning, and parsley until well mixed. The mixture should be a bit moist from the walnuts. Transfer mixture to a medium mixing bowl.
- Add dates and remaining mushrooms to the processor until well ground. With a rubber spatula, transfer date/mushroom mixture to the bowl with the walnut mixture. Add bread crumbs, olive oil, salt, and flax egg. Mix well.
- Using a heaping tablespoon, form a ball with the mixture, then place on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Repeat 12 times until all the mixture has been formed into balls.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, until brown.
- While the meatballs are baking, prep the vegetables.
To Make the Vegetables:
- In a medium saute pan over medium/high heat, add oil. Once oil is heated, add vegetables and sauté. Caramelized bits are good. Towards the last 2-3 minutes of cooking, add the balsamic to deglaze the pan.
- Continue to cook until balsamic is reduced by half. You are looking to create a glaze of balsamic on the vegetables. Remove from heat and set aside.
To Make the Subs:
- When you have about 2-3 minutes of cooking time left on the "meatballs" place 2 sub rolls cut side down on the upper rack of the oven.
- Once the meatballs are done cooking, remove from the oven along with the sub rolls. allow the meatballs"to cool for about 3 minutes.
- Assemble the subs by placing half the vegetable mixture into the roll, top with meatballs, and garnish with parsley
- Leftover meatballs can be stored in an airtight container for up to week and reheated as needed or frozen on a cookie sheet and stored in a freezer bag for later use.