This recipe will keep you warm throughout the chilly season! This stew is delicious and the addition of vegan butter at the end softens the flavor. The dumplings will expand, so do not be tempted to make them bigger than the suggested size.
Veggie Stew with Dumplings [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Veggie Stew with Dumplings [Vegan]
For the Soup:
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 sprigs of fresh rosemary
- 6 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups finely chopped yellow onion (1 large onion)
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 9 ounces quartered white and/or brown mushrooms (about 3 cups)
- 1 cup red wine (we use cabernet sauvignon)
- 4 carrots, peeled and cut into 2-inch lengths
- 3 large yellow potatoes, peeled and quartered (about 1 pound)
- 2 parsnips, peeled and cut into 2-inch lengths
- 4 to 5 1/2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon cold vegan butter
- 1 cup frozen peas
For the Biscuit Topping:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cold vegan butter, cut into cubes
- 3/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter, melted
How to Prepare Veggie Stew with Dumplings [Vegan]
For the Filling:
- Tie the bay leaves, rosemary, and thymes prigs together tightly with cooking twine and set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a medium, heavy-bottomed pot over medium heat.
- Add the onions and cook until soft and translucent, 3 to 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the garlic and mushrooms and cook, frequently stirring, until the mushrooms are soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add the red wine, stir well, and cook until the wine is reduced by about half.
- Add the herb bundle, carrots, potatoes, peas, parsnips, 4 cups of vegetable stock, and tomato paste. Cover and simmer over medium-low heat until the vegetables are fork-tender, 45 to 60 minutes, stirring occasionally and adding more stock if the stew gets too thick.
- Remove the herb bundle and discard.
- Season stew with salt and pepper.
- Stir in the cold vegan butter.
For the Biscuit Topping:
- In a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt. Lightly mix the cold vegan butter into the flour mixture with a pastry blender or your fingers until the pieces are the size of peas. Add the almond milk and stir with a fork in a light tossing motion until just combined (do not overmix the dough).
- On a lightly floured work surface, shape the dough into a flat disc about 3/4 inch thick. Next, cut out circles with a 3-inch round cookie cutter. You should have at least 6 biscuits, rerolling scraps if necessary.
- Arrange the biscuits evenly on top of the filling. Brush the top of each biscuit with the melted vegan butter. Bake in the oven at 350°F until filling is bubbling and the biscuits are lightly brown, 25 to 35 minutes.
- Spoon into bowls and serve.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.