This Vegetable Rigatoni with Creamy Cauliflower Sauce started out as an experiment for a vegan macaroni and “cheese” dish for my boys, but ended up so much better than I had expected. It’s not a plain cauliflower sauce but a creamy cauliflower sauce with a “cheesy” flavor. At the last minute, I decided to add the peas and carrots for color and extra veggies and guess what? They loved it! And asked for seconds. So I would say this is a good vegan recipe to get some extra veggies (cauliflower, peas, carrots and zucchini) on your kids plate!
Vegetable Rigatoni With Creamy Cauliflower Sauce [Vegan]
- 1 bag organic gluten-free rigatoni (16 ounce/1lb bag)
- 1 - 2 cup organic peas and carrots mixture
- 3 cups organic cauliflower
- 2 cups homemade almond milk
- 1 cup organic cashews
- 1 cup organic zucchini (peeled)
- 1 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 2 cloves organic garlic (freshly crushed)
- 1 - 1 1/2 teaspoon pink himalayan salt
- 1/4 teaspoon organic tumeric powder
- 1 - 2 pinch organic cayenne pepper powder
- Prepare the pasta according to package directions. Set aside.
- Put all ingredients for the sauce in a blender and blend until well combined and creamy.
- Taste and if needed, make adjustments with pink Himalayan salt, cayenne pepper, turmeric and nutritional yeast.
- Strain the pasta and return it back to your pot.
- Add the cauliflower sauce, peas and carrots and stir until well combined.
- Warm on low heat just long enough to warm the sauce up and serve immediately.
- Best when served hot.
Tip #1: I’ve used a 1 lb bag of frozen organic cauliflower and a frozen organic peas and carrot mixture to save time. Tip #2: I’ve used organic broccoli (also frozen) instead of the peas and carrot mixture for variety. Tip #3: I used rigatoni but you can use a gluten-free rigatoni or your favorite pasta instead.