This "steak" is meaty, but there's not an ounce of meat in it — it's made from a combination of textured vegetable protein and wheat protein that is cooked in vegetable broth and mixed with savory spices to give it flavor. It's perfect for dinner any day of the week, for date night, and special occasions — just serve it with your favorite sides!
Vegetable Protein Steak [Vegan]
- 2 cups fine textured vegetable protein
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup wheat gluten
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/2 red bell pepper
- 4 tablespoons vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth or water
- Finely slice the onion, garlic, and pepper. In a bowl, soak the textured vegetable protein (TVP) in water or vegetable broth for 20 minutes.
- In a bowl, mix all the dry ingredients: TVP, wheat gluten, bread crumbs, and all spices. Mix well, add the rest of the ingredients, and knead until the batter becomes doughy.
- Taking small portions of dough in your hands, make an oval or rectangular shape. Simmer in water or broth for 30 minutes.Now, the steaks can be grilled, baked, or fried. If you are grilling or baking them, simple cook on both sides until golden.
- Seitan (Plant Protein)