You won't believe this soup is vegan! It has the texture, substance and the flavor of a regular split pea soup without any meats or other animal products. Using tempeh bacon is a key here, as it produces a deep smokey flavor and texture.
Vegan Smokey Split Pea Soup [Vegan]
- 1 16oz package (about 2 1/4 cups) green split peas, soaked overnight, drained and rinsed
- 7-8 cups filtered water or vegetable broth
- 4 strips of gluten-free tempeh bacon, diced
- 1 medium size carrot, peeled and diced
- 1/2 medium size onion, peeled and diced
- 1 teaspoon avocado oil
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 black peppercorns
- Pink Himalayan salt, to taste
- Black pepper, to taste
- 1-2 tablespoon fresh dill, finely chopped (optional)
- Prepare the ingredients.
- Put peas and water in a large pot or a Dutch oven over medium-high heat and bring to boil. Skim all the foam, reduce the heat to low, add 1 teaspoon salt, bay leaf and peppercorns, cover and simmer for about 30 minutes.
- Add diced tempeh and mix well.
- Cover and simmer for additional 1.5 hours or until peas are completely tender and mostly falling apart.
- While the soup is simmering, heat oil in a medium size skillet over medium heat.
- Add onion and carrot and saute until vegetables are tender and golden brown.
- Add to the soup and mix well. Let simmer for 5-10 minutes.
- Turn off the heat, mix in fresh dill, if using, and serve.
The soup should have smooth, creamy consistency due to the peas turning into puree. If you prefer the peas to be more whole, reduce the cooking time. If the soup is too thick, add a bit more water or vegetable broth towards the end of cooking to achieve the desired consistency. To make this soup oil-free, substitute oil for 2 tablespoon vegetable broth or water.