Bourguignon — a traditional French stew made with braised beef and wine — is really easy to veganize. Swap out the bacon, beef and beef stock for mushrooms, spices and vegan broth: voila! Same dish, happier body, happier planet, happier cows.
Mushroom Bourguignon [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups White Button mushrooms
- 1 yellow onion
- 2 carrots
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup full-bodied red wine
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 1/2 tablespoon gluten-free flour
- 4 ounces gluten-free pasta
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Quarter mushrooms and slice onions and carrots into bite-size pieces. Mince garlic.
- In a large heavy pot, heat 2 tablespoons oil over high heat, add mushrooms and onions. Sear until the mushrooms begin to release liquid, about 5 minutes.
- Add the carrots, thyme, and salt and pepper to taste. Cover and cook for 5 minutes until carrots soften slightly, stirring occasionally.
- Add garlic and cook one minute more.
- Turn heat to high and add wine. Cook about 4 minutes until wine reduces by half. Stir in tomato paste and broth, and more salt and pepper to taste, and continue to boil for 5 minutes.
- While these cook together, bring 2 cups salted water to a boil in a separate small pot. Add pasta and cook for 8 minutes until al dente. Drain and set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix together 1 tablespoon water and flour to make a paste, stir into the stew. Simmer 5 minutes more and serve.