Snacking on goldfish crackers may be the one thing I miss as a vegan. Knowing full well that they're sodium filled, preservative filled, unnaturally colored little demon fishes, I avoid them. Plus, every time I even smell that fake cheddar scent, I end up on a three day craving spree trying to replicate their flavor. Alas, no such luck. One of our readers led us to a link for the website Chef Chloe, where we found a VEGAN goldfish cracker recipe...and the best part? There are only 8 ingredients! And four of them you already have in your kitchen, guaranteed.
Goldfish Crackers [Vegan]
- 1 cup whole wheat flour, plus extra for dusting work surface
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/8 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 5 tablespoons vegan butter
- 4 tablespoons cold water
- Preheat your oven to 375°F.
- In a food processor, combine everything but the butter and water. Mix until combined. Add butter and pulse until crumbly. Add water and pulse until dough just comes together.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to about 1/8 inch thickness. Now its time to cut your fishies! For this part, you can purchase a goldfish cutter (pretty cheap online) or you can get creative and be cheap and make your own! Just carefully cut an aluminum can lengthwise into several 1 inch strips, a fold into a fish (or any other!) shape. Secure with a staple or clear tape, like I used, and cut away! I even had my roommate add little eyes and mouths using the end of a toothpick while I cut out crackers.
- Once your school is all cut out, bake on a cookie sheet for about 15 minutes or until golden and very lightly browned. Store in an airtight container...if they last that long!
- Cheesy Recipes