Vegan and sausage in the same sentence? Well it’s not quite a meat sausage, but it’s the perfect breakfast patty packed with meaty, umami, and smoky flavors. Pair with a buttered English muffin, alongside a tofu scramble, or stuff in a plant-based breakfast sandwich. This quick and easy breakfast patty brings all the right flavors to the table with lentils, maple syrup, herbs, balsamic, and more. These patties are tender, crispy, smoky, and sweet.
Vegan Breakfast Sausage Patties [Vegan]
- 1 cup brown lentils rinsed and drained
- 2 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1/8 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 flax egg (1 1/2 tablespoon flax seed meal + 3 tablespoons water)
- 1 teaspoon each: garlic powder, paprika, dried rosemary, dried thyme
- 3/4 teaspoon dried sage
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- In a medium saucepan, add lentils, vegetable broth, 2 tablespoons maple syrup, and liquid smoke. Bring to a boil, then simmer for 25-30 min. until lentils are cooked through. Add lentils to a food processor.
- In a small skillet, heat a bit of oil. Add onion and garlic. Sauté for 4-5 min. until fragrant and translucent. Add to the food processor along with the rest of the ingredients. Pulse until combined (a bit of texture is ok if not better).
- Transfer mixture to a bowl, cover, and refrigerate for 2-3 hours to overnight (the longer, the more firm and tender the patty will be).
- Preheat oven to 400°F degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat. Taking 1/4 cup of mixture at a time, form into patties. Bake for 15 min. until crispy and firm. At this point, you can either leave them as is or pan-fry them to achieve the perfect golden brown color and ultra-crispy surface.
- Heat a large skillet with 1-2 tablespoons of oil. Cook patties on either side until golden brown. Serve right away or cool until room temp. and freeze in a freezer-safe container.