This vegan cheese really does do everything camembert does. You bake it in the oven so your kitchen will get a lovely cheesy aroma, it's gooey and oozes when you cut into it, and tastes amazing. The cheesy flavour comes from a mixture of nutritional yeast, miso paste, a touch of apple cider vinegar, mustard and garlic powder. It's smokey, tangy, salty cheesy goodness. Pop a vegan Camembert in the oven and watch all your carnivorous friends and family melt!
Vegan Baked Camembert [Vegan]
For the cheese:
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 6 3/4 ounces water
- 5 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon miso paste
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon tapioca starch
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon mustard powder
- 2 cloves garlic
- Soak the cashews in water for at least 4 hours, preferably over night.
- Once soaked drain the cashews and place into a blender, along with the water, nutritional yeast, miso, vinegar, tapioca starch, garlic and mustard powder. Blend until smooth. The mixture should be fairly watery.
- Pour the mixture into a large saucepan and heat over a low heat, stirring continuously. The mixture will begin to thicken, it will be lumpy at first, keep stirring. Once the mixture has the texture of gooey melted cheese remove from the heat.
- Line two shallow 4 inch diameter dishes with baking paper, making sure the paper comes up the sides as well. Pour the mixture into the dishes.
- Thinly slice the two cloves of garlic length ways. Push the slices of garlic and sprigs of rosemary into the cheese.
- Place the dishes into the oven at 395 °F for 15-20 minutes. The top will puff up a bit and rise, and should go slightly brown and crispy.
- Remove from the oven and enjoy. You can reheat in the oven by covering with foil and putting back in for 5-10 minutes to heat up.
- Cashew Cheese