These charming and girly cupcakes are absolutely scrumptious. The cake is fluffy and light, the buttercream is perfectly flavored with caramel, mixed with the fondant coating and buttercream on top...it's just a delightful treat! You won't be able to have just one.
Unicorn Cupcakes [Vegan]
To Make the Cupcakes:
1 cup of dairy-free milk
- 7 1/2-ounces of self-raising flour
- 3 1/2-ounces of golden caster sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder
1/2 teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda
2-ounces of coconut oil (Melted)
- 1/3-ounce of vegan sprinkles
To Make the Buttercream:
2-ounces of dairy-free butter
14-ounces of icing sugar
2 teaspoons of caramel flavoring
- Pink food coloring (or any color)
- Unicorn horn and ears (crafted out of whatever you please)
- Roll out white fondant
- Edible pink glitter
- Black icing (to draw face)
- Pre-heat your oven to 355°F and line a cupcake tin with cupcake wrappers.
- In a small bowl, combine the almond milk with the apple cider vinegar and whisk until fully combined.
- Set aside for 10 minutes to curdle. This creates a vegan 'buttermilk'.
- In a large mixing bowl, sift the flour, sugar, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda. Mix well to combine.
- Add the melted coconut oil to the 'buttermilk' and whisk to combine.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix until a smooth batter
- Fold in the sprinkles. Don't overmix or the colors will bleed into the batter
- Fill the cases 3/4 full with the batter. Make sure to tap the tins on the worktop to remove any air bubbles
- Pop the cakes in the oven and bake for 18-20 minutes. You will know they are done when you put a knife or skewer in and it comes out clean and they are springy to the touch
- Cream the butter in a bowl, on a high speed until creamy
- When your butter/margarine is creamy and light in color, add the icing sugar and caramel. Whizz together until fluffy and fully combined. Add a splash of dairy-free milk if too thick
- Separate the buttercream into 4 different bowls. Color buttercream 3 shades of pink and leave one white
- Transfer the buttercreams into piping bags fitted with different nozzles eg mini star tip, circle, open star..
- Pipe a bulb of buttercream onto each cupcake
- Roll out the white fondant and cut out a circle using a cookie cutter, making sure the circle is a fraction bigger than the cupcake
- Place the fondant on top of the buttercream, using your hands to make it smooth
- Using the colorful buttercream, pipe the unicorn mane, swirls, bulbs, and/or stars
- Using the edible pen, draw on some eyes and using a food brush, brush on some of the pink glitter for the cheeks.
- Finally, add the unicorn horn and ears.
Serve these cupcakes fresh or store in a sealed container in or out of the fridge, the buttercream will firm up at room temperature.