If you thought baked potatoes were boring then think again! This transforms the humble potato into a show-stopping gourmet dish that is fit for every occasion. The creamy asparagus and mushroom sauce adds an indulgent lusciousness to the starch. Wait until you try these and see for yourself how incredible the tastes and textures come together to create something extremely special.
Twice Cooked Baked Potatoes With Asparagus and Mushroom Cream Sauce [Vegan, Grain-Free]
For the Baked Potatoes:
- 2 large baking potatoes
- Salt to dust
For the Filling:
- Handful of chopped fresh basil
- 1 heaped tablespoon vegan butter
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Oil, to drizzle
For the Mushroom Sauce:
- 7 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 asparagus spears
- 2/5 cup vegetable stock
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 10 tablespoons vegan cream
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Wash and scrub the potatoes and whilst still damp, pat with fine sea salt. Bake in the oven for 1 hour or until crisp and cooked.
- Cut the asparagus spears in half and keep the tips to one side. Chop the stalks and add to the pan with the oil and mushrooms and a pinch of salt. Cook for 5-6 minutes to soften the mushrooms and asparagus stalks and when no more water remains.
- Add the stock and continue to cook until the stock has reduced and then add the cream and rosemary. Season to taste and put to one side.
- Fry the asparagus tips in a little oil until golden and also set to one side for plating up the completed dish.
- When the potatoes are baked, allow to cool and then carefully remove the flesh and keeping the skin intact.
- Mash the flesh in a bowl with the butter, salt, and basil. Fill the skins with the mixture, drizzle with a little oil, and place under the grill for 5 minutes or until golden.
- Meanwhile reheat the sauce and the asparagus tips.
- To serve, plate the jacket potatoes, pour over the sauce, and serve with the asparagus tips.