A new holiday favorite: turmeric and chili-rubbed cauliflower with red onion, garlic, pine nuts, pomegranate seeds, and a bright maple-pomegranate vinaigrette. Turmeric brings a wonderful earthiness and a gorgeous golden color to the cauliflower florets. And juicy, ruby-red pomegranate jewels, crisp toasted pine nuts, and a zesty dressing take it to the next level; how could anyone resist such a royal dish?
Turmeric-Roasted Cauliflower With Maple-Pomegranate Vinaigrette [Vegan, Grain-free]
- 1 small head of cauliflower, base/core/leaves removed and cut into florets (about 4 cups)
- 1 red onion, cut into wedges
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and sliced in half
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili flakes
- Kosher salt
- Black pepper
- 2 tablespoons pomegranate molasses
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup pine nuts, toasted
- 1/4 cup pomegranate seeds
- 3 tablespoons thinly sliced chives
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone liner.
- In a large bowl, combine cauliflower, onion, garlic, olive oil, turmeric, chile flakes, 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, and a few grinds of black pepper.
- Toss to evenly coat the veggies and transfer to prepared baking sheet. Roast until cauliflower is tender and lightly caramelized around the edges, 20 to 25 minutes, stirring halfway through.
- To make the vinaigrette, combine pomegranate molasses, maple syrup, lemon juice, and olive oil in a small bowl. Whisk until combined, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Arrange cauliflower mixture on a platter or serving bowl. Drizzle with vinaigrette and garnish with pine nuts, pom seeds, and chives just before serving.
Heirloom orange or purple varieties of cauliflower (or a combination) would be really beautiful here as well.