Cooked in a mix of velvety coconut milk and broth and tinged with turmeric, the quinoa base is wonderfully rich. Partnered with bite-size pieces of spicy cauliflower, vinegar-kissed collard greens, pickled onion, and crunchy radishes, it’s perfectly balanced—and that’s what keeps me coming back again and again.
Turmeric Quinoa Bowls [Vegan]
For the Bowls:
- 1 medium head cauliflower (about 2 pounds [1820 g]), cut into bite-size florets
- 3 tablespoons (45 ml) avocado or extra virgin olive oil, divided
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 cup (175 g) tricolor quinoa, rinsed
- 1 (14-ounce [392 g]) can unsweetened full-fat coconut milk
- 1 cup (240 ml) low-sodium vegetable broth, divided
- 1 cup (150 g) peas
- 1 large bunch collard greens (about 1½ pounds [680 g]), stems and center ribs removed and leaves chopped
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 bunch radishes, quartered
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced and pickled (see page XX)
- 1 recipe Tahini Sauce (page XX)
For the Tahini Sauce:
- 1/2 cup (120 g) tahini
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) water
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
For the Bowl:
- Arrange a rack in the middle of the oven and preheat to 425ºF (220ºC or gas mark 7).
- Place the cauliflower on a rimmed baking sheet, drizzle with 1 tablespoon (15 ml) of the oil, sprinkle with the cayenne pepper and salt, and toss to combine. Roast until tender and lightly browned, about 20 minutes, stirring once halfway through.
- Heat 1 tablespoon (15 ml) of the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat until shimmering. Add the onion and sauté until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic, ginger, turmeric, and a pinch of salt, and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir in the quinoa, coconut milk, and 1/2 cup (120 ml) of the broth. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, then reduce the heat to low, cover, and cook until tender and most of the liquid is absorbed, 12 to 15 minutes. Remove from the heat, stir in the peas, and keep covered for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork.
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining 1 tablespoon (15 ml) oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the collard greens and sauté until tender, about 5 minutes. Pour in the remaining 1/2 cup (120 ml) broth. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes more. Remove from the heat and stir in the vinegar.
- To serve, divide the quinoa among four bowls. Top with the cauliflower, collard greens, radishes, and pickled red onions. Drizzle with the Tahini Sauce.
For the Tahini Sauce:
- Place all the ingredients in a medium bowl and whisk until well combined. Thin with additional water or lemon juice, as desired.
Get a head start! | The cauliflower, quinoa, and collard greens can be cooked a day in advance and reheated before serving.