The three Ts of soy (TVP, Tofu, and Tempeh) join forces to create a protein-packed burger that will rock your socks off. Serve on a toasted bagel or toasted white bun with a generous schmear of Tangy Tahini Sauce (page 189), lettuce, tomato, and sprouts, as pictured. A big helping of steamed veggies would also complement this nicely.
Trifecta Burger [Vegan]
- 1 cup (96 g) TVP granules
- 1 cup (235 ml) vegetable broth
- 10 ounces (280 g) extra-firm tofu, drained and pressed
- 4 ounces (112 g) plain soy tempeh
- 1/2 cup (112 g) vegan mayonnaise, store-bought or homemade
- 2 tablespoons (34 g) Sriracha sauce
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) sesame oil
- 1/2 cup (62 g) all-purpose flour
- Oil, for frying (optional)
- In a microwave-safe bowl, mix together the TVP granules and the broth, cover tightly with plastic wrap, and microwave for 5 to 6 minutes. Alternatively, bring the broth to a boil, pour over the TVP granules, cover, and let sit for 10 minutes. Let cool.
- In a mixing bowl, crumble the tofu and tempeh. Mix in the reconstituted TVP. Add the mayonnaise, Sriracha sauce, and sesame oil. Mix well.
- Slowly knead in the flour until well incorporated and form into 6 patties. Cook as desired.
- Bake at 350°F for 30 minutes, flipping halfway through. Or bake first, then finish off by lightly frying in a smidge of oil until golden and crispy, 2 to 3 minutes on each side.